AVINASH MOHAN, M.D. – Department of Neurosurgery Faculty, Pediatric Neurosurgery
- B.A. The Johns Hopkins University (Biology and Economics), Baltimore, Maryland
- M.D. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
Internship and Residency:
- Intern in General Surgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
- Resident in Neurosurgery
- Chief Resident
- Children’s Memorial Hospital
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
Clinical Fellow in Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Research Fellow, Skirball Research Institute, NYU School of Medicine
(Supervisor: Howard Weiner, M.D., Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery)
Honors and Awards:
- Best Resident Abstract, Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, AANS/CNS Section
on Tumors Biennial Symposium
- Second Prize, New York State Neurosurgical Society Resident Competition
- Resident Delegate for New York State, Council of State Neurosurgical
- International Elective Scholarship, Case Western Reserve University School
of Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
- Crile Research Fellowship, Case Western Reserve University School of
- Howard Hughes Undergraduate Research Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins
- Dean’s List, The Johns Hopkins University
- Alpha Epsilon Delta (national pre-health honor society), The Johns Hopkins
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- USMLE Step I, II, III Completed
- American Board of Neurological Surgeons, Primary Written Exam Passed
- Bowman RM, Mohan AL, Seibly JM, McClone DG: Tethered cord syndrome: A long-term study of 114 patients. Submitted: Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics.
- Zohrabian VM, Nandu H, Gulati N, Khitrov G, Zhao C, Mohan A, Demattia J, Braun A, Das K, Murali R, Jhanwar-Uniyal M: Gene expression profiling of metastatic brain cancer. Oncology Report 18(2): 321-8, 2007.
- Nagpal J, Jamoona A, Gulati ND, Mohan A, Braun A, Murali R, Jhanwar-Uniyal M: Revisiting the role of p53 in primary and secondary glioblastomas. Anticancer Research 26:3-9: 2006.
- Cutler AR, Siddiqui S, Mohan AL, Hillard VH, Cerabona F, Das K: Comparison of polyetherether ketone cages to femoral cortical allograft as a single piece interbody spacer in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion. J Neurosurg Spine 5(6): December 2006.
- Sethi NK, Torgovnick J, Mohan A, Hirschfeld A, Zablow B, Omeis I: Images in Clinical Medicine: Hyperdense MCA sign. The Internet Journal of Radiology 4(2): 2006.
- Mokashi A, Mohan AL, Narayan P, Jayabose S: Listless infant in the emergency department. E-Medicine 2005.
- Mohan AL, Slim M, Benzil DL: Knife wound to the posterior fossa in a child. Childs Nerv Syst. 21(3):255-8, 2005.
- Mohan AL, Das K: History of surgery for the correction of spinal deformity. Neurosurg Focus 14(1): 1-5, 2003.
- Couldwell WT, Mohan AL: Enlargement of a vestibular schwannoma after stereotactic radiotherapy. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144(12): 1319-22, 2002.
- Li Q, Kopecky KJ, Mohan A, Willman CL, Appelbaum FR, Weick JK, Issa JP: Estrogen receptor methylation is associated with improved survival in adult acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Cancer Res 5(5): 1077-84, 1999.
- Issa JP, Kantarjian H, Mohan A, O’Brien S, Cortes J, Pierce S, Talpaz M: Methylation of the ABL1 promoter in chronic myelogenous leukemia: lack of prognostic significance. Blood 93(6): 2075-80, 1999.
- Ahuja N, Li Q, Mohan AL, Baylin SB, Issa JP: Aging and DNA methylation in colorectal mucosa and cancer. Cancer Res 58(23): 5489-94, 1998.
- Ahuja N, Mohan AL, Li Qu, Stolker JM, Herman JG, Hamilton St, Baylin SB, Issa JP:
Association between CpG island methylation and microsatellite instability in colorectal cancer. Cancer Res 57:3370-3374, 1997.
- Mohan AL, Tomita T: Long term follow-up on CSF Cytology and Arachnoid Biopsy from the Cisterna Magna in Patients with Medulloblastoma. Oral Presentation. International Symposium of Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Mohan AL, Seibly JM, McClone DG, Bowman RM: Tethered Cord Syndrome: A Long-term Study of 114 patients. Oral Presentation. AANS/CNS Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Mohan AL, Turnbull DH, Joyner AL, Weiner HL: Activation of Smoothened induces medulloblastomas in mice. Oral Presentation. AANS/CNS Biennial Section on Tumors, 2004.
- Weiner HL, Mohan AL, Pompeiano M, Turnbull DH, Joyner AL: Mutations in the Sonic Hedgehog pathway enhance medulloblastoma induction. Oral Presentation. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Mohan AL, Murali R, Benzil D: Impact of New York State 405 workforce regulations at one institution. American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Mohan AL, Hillard V, Omeis I, Murali R, Das K: History of instrumentation for stabilization of the thoracolumbar spine. American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2003.
- Mohan AL and Bowman R. Birth Head Trauma. Youmans Neurological Surgery. Submitted 2008
- Mohan AL and Tomita T. Optic Pathway and Hypothalamic Gliomas in Children. Youmans Neurological Surgery. Submitted 2008.