Peter A. Zahos, M.D., F.A.A.N.S., F.A.C.S.
Peter A. Zahos, M.D., F.A.A.N.S., F.A.C.S. is a board-certified neurosurgeon with a focus on the surgical treatment of spinal disease, brain tumors, neurotrauma, and movement disorders.
Dr. Zahos joins the BSSNY practice from one of the top-five Neurosurgery programs in the nation, University of California, San Francisco, where he served as Associate Clinical Professor of Neurological Surgery. He was formerly the chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery at Cleveland Clinic Florida and a member of the Brain Tumor Institute and the Department of Neurosurgery at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio.
Dr. Zahos has been an author on multiple publications and patents, and has lectured regionally and nationally. He is an early adopter in the use of DBS surgery using frameless techniques in a community setting. He is an entrepreneur involved in device development in the areas of noninvasive spinal disc repair and mobile medical informatics.
- BA, Yale University
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
Post Graduate Training and Fellowships:
- Surgical Internship, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 1990-1991
- Residency, Neurological Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 1991-1996
- Fellowship, Functional Neurosurgery and Stereotactic Radiosurgery, University of California, Los Angeles 2003
- Instructor, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center, New Brunswick, New Jersey 1996-1997
- Clinical Instructor II, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 1997-2001
- Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 2001-2003
- Joint Appointment, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio2006-2008
- Voluntary Assistant Professor of Neurological Surgery, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Miami, Florida2006- 2008
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery, Seton Hall School of Graduate Medical Education, West Orange, New Jersey2009-2011
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery, UCSF School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA2014-2015
Awards, Honors & Societies:
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- AANS/CNS Section on Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- AANS/CNS Section on Tumors
- AANS/CNS Section on Neurotrauma& Critical Care
- North American Spine Society
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- CNS Delegate, Council of State Neurosurgical Societies
- Member, South Florida Chapter, American College of Surgeons
- Member, North American Neuromodulation Society
- Zahos PA, Shweikeh F. Frameless deep brain stimulation surgery: a community hospital experience. ClinNeurolNeurosurg 2013;115(7):1083-7.
- Samdani A, Garonzik IM, Zahos P. Subdural hematoma after diagnostic lumbar puncture. Am J Emerg Med 2004;22(4):316-7.
- Samdani AF, Garonzik IM, Jallo G, Eberhart CG, Zahos P. Spinal angiolipoma: case report and review of the literature. ActaNeurochir (Wien) 2004;146(3):299-302.
- Zahos PA, Goodman LA, Onesti ST, Michelsen WJ. Dorsal endodermal cyst of the upper cervical spine. J Spinal Disord 1996;9(6):536-9.
- Onesti ST, Zahos PA, Ashkenazi E. Spontaneous hemorrhage into a convexity meningioma. ActaNeurochir (Wien). 1996;138(10):1250-1.
- Linnik MD, Zahos P, Geschwind MD, Federoff HJ. Expression of bcl-2 from a defective herpes simplex virus-1 vector limits neuronal death in focal cerebral ischemia. Stroke 1995;26(9):1670-5.